Tomato Puree/Tomato Sauce
- 4 or 5 large tomatoes
- 3 cups of water
- herbs, spices and extras such as garlic, onions, pepper, oregano, rosemary etc..
Step 1: Thoroughly cleanse and dice tomatoes
Step 2: Add tomatoes to a large pot and then add water
Step 3: Simmer until tomatoes have turned into sauce, puree if needed
If you wish to add onions and/or peppers, saute them in a skillet prior to adding to the sauce!
Yellow, Red and Green
- 1 summer squash
- 1 zucchini squash
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- olive oil for sauteing
Step 1: Thoroughly cleanse and dice yellow squash, zucchini squash and tomatoes
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a frying pan
Step 3: Place vegetables in the pan and sautee until tender.
Step 4: Serve over rice or add cubes of cooked chicken or beef or even fish!
Add some spices such as garlic cloves or powder, basil or onion powder if baby is able to have these spices. Chop as needed for your baby’s texture preferences.
- 4 large tomatoes (try the “beefsteak” variety)
- 1 cup cooked rice or cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped sauteed onions
- 1/2 cup diced sauteed peppers
- garlic powder
- olive oil
Step 1: Remove top of tomatoes and slightly hallow tomatoes out (reserve the “pulp”)
Step 2: Lightly brush insides of tomatoes with olive oil and place in a glass baking dish
Step 3: Add 1 cup of water to baking dish
Step 4:. Bake tomatoes for 15 minutes, uncovered, at 400F
Step 5: Mix rice or quinoa, onions and peppers and spices (sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired)
Step 6: Remove tomatoes from oven and stuff with the rice mixture
Step 7: Place tomatoes back into the glass dish and then bake for an additional 10 minutes until stuffing is golden and bubbly.
Tomato & Rice Soup
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons uncooked long-grain rice or rice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon or dried leaf thyme, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Step 1: In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery and carrots in butter until softened but not browned.
Step 2: Add tomatoes and a small amount of chicken broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 3: In a stock pot, combine sautéed vegetables, remaining chicken broth and rice.
Step 4: Season with salt, thyme and pepper. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley. If desired, blend a few cups of soup and add back to the mixture for a thicker soup.